Paleo Pumpkin Pie for the Holidays (With a Paleo Eats Crust!)
Grab a Slice of Paleo Pumpkin Pie!
It’s that time of year again when the holiday gatherings, seasonal potlucks, and intricately orchestrated meals start to pop up with more frequency. From family and friends, to neighbors and new acquaintances, folks with all kinds of dietary needs, food allergies, culinary preferences, tastes, beliefs, and palates convene to spend time, share stories, make memories, and eat together. So why not offer a seasonal pie favorite (Paleo pumpkin pie, in this case) that caters to most, if not all, of your guests?
For this month’s Paleo Eats Blog post, we’re adapting this Best Paleo Pumpkin Pie Recipe from The Paleo Mom. We’ll mostly follow her awesome Paleo pumpkin pie recipe, but change up the crust by adding in our very own Paleo Eats Chai Spice Bars for extra flavor and added texture. The following delicious and simple Paleo pie recipe serves 6-8 people and is certain to be a hit. Here we go!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Crust Ingredients
- 5-7 Paleo Eats Chai Spice Bars
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 egg white (substitute flaxseed for the vegans in your life)
- Generous pinch of salt
Paleo Pie Crust Directions
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grind Paleo Eats Bars in a food processor or blender until finely ground and almost starting to turn into a paste (very crumbled and just starting to clump together).
- Mix crumbled Paleo Eats Bars, almond flour, egg white (or flaxseed + water), and salt together (you can pulse in your food processor or do this by hand).
- Press/pinch the mixture into a 9” pie plate (an 8” deep dish pie plate will work too).
- Pierce the crust with a fork every ¼ inch or so to stop the shell from bubbling up while it bakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until starting to solidify.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before pouring in the filling.
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree (this is the equivalent of a 15oz can, or you can use fresh pumpkin puree)
- 2/3 cups raw walnut halves (or pecan or other nut, depending on nut allergies)
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk (or flaxseed, or other egg alternative)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
Paleo Pie Filling Directions
- Preheat oven to 350F (if you’re making your pie right after making the crust, just reduce the temperature).
- Place cashews and walnuts (or other nut choice) in your food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground. Add eggs (or egg substitute), honey, and maple syrup.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth (you can also add some of the water if it’s too thick for your food processor or blender to puree well). It’s very important to blend until completely smooth, otherwise your custard will be watery.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined.
- Pour into cooled pie shell (doesn’t need to be room temperature, just cool enough to touch).
- Spread the top out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Enjoy the Best Paleo Pumpkin Pie EVER!!!
From our Paleo Eats Family to yours, we wish you a holiday season filled with friends, family, and loved ones. Oh, and of course, the best Paleo dishes imaginable. For more Paleo holiday recipes, check back regularly. And be sure to check back next month for our blog post about the best Paleo foods to eat for sustained energy, especially throughout the winter months!